Thursday, June 4, 2009

Our first post! June 3


Today we visited the Mercado Modelo (the market). It's not quite as inviting as the Ithaca Farmer's Market, but it is more interesting and colorful. The variety of new fruits, that I didn't even know existed, is incredible. Believe it or not, there may be produce that the U.S. hasn't really imported (I have never seen a zapote in the grocerystore at home). My favorite fruit that we tasted was the passion fruit, which is a little sour at first, but the juice is sweet and delicioso! The market includes several Botanicas, which are like apothecaries or pharmacies. There is a potion or salve for EVERYTHING. The woman we spoke to said that people mostly buy things for good luck (and for 50 pesos - a little more than a dollar - you can't go wrong). She also said that she doesn't believe that love should be forced, which conflicts with her large stock of love potions. Alicia asked about gender and the woman said that equal amounts of men and women come in but that men usually have several loves they are chasing (I guess the catcalls don't work on their own).
The last thing to mention about the market is the chickens - dead and alive. They were in piles covered in flies. There were feathers and fluids in the street. The sight and smell will happily keep me a vegatarian.

Contributed by Nancy

1 comment:

  1. Fun! This picture of nancy reminds me of the time this boy just came up to me and stole my coconut at the mercado. Jill or Meredith might remember... it was interesting :)

    ReplyDelete