Friday, June 12, 2009

June 11th



On our second day (tuesday) with One Réspe we visited two community schools that they operate here in Gurabo. My group ended up arriving at these schools during recess, and the kids could not have been happier. Although most of us had a language barrier with the kids, it didn't stop us from running around, playing ring around the rosy in spanish, picking them up and at one point I gave my camera to one of the girls. I suspected that she had seen digital cameras before because she knew that she could immediately see the pictures. After running around to her classmates and putting the lens about an inch away from their faces, I now have a set of photos from a three foot eye level. It took a bit of courage to allow a maybe 4 year old girl to run around with one of my most prized possessions, but I knew that it was something that would be good for both of us. I hope that there is some way to send the pictures back to the kids. After about ten minutes of photos, my batteries died and the flock of children dispersed pretty quickly.

On the way to the school and on our way home we had to pass through some neighborhoods that were not in the best shape to say the least. We saw a few of the kids getting rides home on the back of motorcycles, and although it looked like a fun ride, we weren't so sure about the homes they were going to. In spite of all of this, I still found it somewhat hopeful to know that there is a community here that is doing what they can to make sure that kids have a good place to go to school, even if it's only for those first few years.

Contributed by Becky Bowen

No comments:

Post a Comment